June Bug here! Welcome to my little corner of the blog!
My sister and I LOVE these simple and easy sweet potato chews! What we do is get a bunch of sweet potatoes and make these chews in bulk on mom’s “meal prep” days. We hang out under mom’s feet while she chops and cooks and prepares (and drops stuff), and then we have sweet treats throughout the week! Mom says these are better for me than the packaged stuff since I’m still trying to lose some surgery and covid weight….whatever…
Here’s what you’ll need!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2-3 hours
- 2-3 large Sweet potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes into slivers roughly between ⅛ to ¼ inch thick (you can cut the potato down to make these slices more manageable).
- Lightly coat slices with oil.
- Spray cooking oil or lay down parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Arrange slices on baking sheet so that they are not touching.
- Cook for about two hours, flipping every hour, or until they are chewy in texture.***
- Let them cool completely before giving them to your pups!
*** If preferred, you can cut in smaller rounds instead of strips, but you will need to adjust cooking time accordingly. Mom has found that she often actually goes over two hours until she gets the desired texture (Kona and I love them chewy in the center and a little crispy on the edges). Mom sets a timer for two hours, then checks on them every ten minutes.***
Mom stores these in the fridge for us for a week. I don’t think they’d last much more than that in the fridge, but to be honest, we eat them too fast for her to test that… These are a yummy snack when we need something between meals and I’m told sweet potatoes are really good for us!