Hey, it’s June Bug back in the kitchen this week! It has been so hot outside! I ask to go out to lay in the sun, but can only stay out a few minutes before mom has to let me back in. She calls me a baked potato! Rude! In addition to taking our walks in the morning or just before dark, we also have a great kiddie pool to stay cool in.
My favorite way to cool off, though, is a new dog-friendly ice cream recipe that Mom and I have discovered! I’d gladly eat mom’s “regular” ice cream, too, but she says this is better for me. I guess I’ll take what I can get!
- 4 bananas
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (make sure it does not contain xylitol!)
- 1/4 non-fat, sugar-free Greek yogurt
- 4 small plastic cups or bowls (you could use paper cups, but if you have a dog that eats everything like my sister Kona does, you may want to remove the paper first!)
- Peel and slice your bananas
- Freeze your banana slices for at least 30 minutes
- Put frozen banana slices in a food processor and blend. You’ll need to scrape down the sides a few times, as it will get fairly thick.
- Keep blending until it smooths out into a soft-serve consistency.
- Add peanut butter and Greek yogurt. Blend until incorporated.
- Separate into 3-4 cups/bowls and freeze.
Mom puts a towel under us to eat it if we’re inside because I take my time with mine and it gets messy as it melts. Kona eats hers almost whole, but she’s just like that. These are probably best served outside, though. It’s a nice, cooling treat for the summer. Now if I can just convince mom to give me a taste of HER ice cream!